Monday, May 31, 2010

Flying to Brazil

There is hardly a longer route than Tokyo to Sao Paulo, and it usually
involves a mandatory stopover in the U.S. Tokyo to the U.S. is about 13
hours and going on to Sao Paulo is an extra 9. I've written before to
comment on the fact that the largest hardship is going through U.S.
security, where the system treats ticketed passengers first like
criminals and second as compliant bodies, although most TSA staff are at
least somewhat personable.
However, I mostly enjoy air travel and revel in the hours I get "to
myself" to watch countless movies, drink some wine and just relax.
However, after going back and forth from Tokyo to Sao Paulo on the same
airline twice in two months, I have now seen almost every movie they
have on offer (except for those I couldn't stand 30 minutes into the
film) as well as a season's worth of about 4 different television series
(this trip I went through Arrested Development, including the pilot).
The service on the flights has always been friendly, which makes up for
the fact that they don't have a regular outlet available to power my PC,
but for whatever reason they do have a "cigarette lighter" outlet for
electronic devices. Hence, it's time to shut down my computer and get
some rest. Just three hours to go.

1 comment:

  1. You said it perfectly about the criminal treatment of passengers. I remember coming back to the US after Brazil. I had a flight from Rio to São Paulo and had bought a bottle of water in SP after going through security. No problem, right? Wouldn't you know it that on the jetway, the aisle to the plane itself that hadn't even left Brazilian soil yet, the US had to put up their own special security--the Brazilian security apparently wasn't good enough--and they made me throw out my unopened newly purchased refreshingly chilly bottle of water. I won't even mention the 2 times--TWICE!--I was accosted by US airport security for having a banana in my bag.

    ReplyDelete